Gorgeous rose bushes and lush green plants are beautiful to look at, but they require a lot of maintenance. Garden scissors are an essential tool for keeping plants healthy. Have you ever had flowers that began to discolor? Or what about brown, dried out leaves on certain parts of your plants? Both of these are a sign that your flowers or shrubs require extra attention. It never feels good to have your flowers and plants wither away on you, especially if you've been diligent with their care. But sometimes, plants need even more care in order to blossom the way they should.
The good news is, even if you see your plant taking a turn for the worse, you can revive it. Garden shears might be the answer to dying, wilting plants. But with so many products, it might be hard to choose. How do you find the best garden scissors for your needs? It's important to understand what your shears are for, and which features are best suited to your needs.
Why Do You Need Garden Scissors?
Garden scissors are an essential tool to have because they cut branches and stems that need pruning. There are two different types of shears, although they come in different models and sizes. You have to choose which scissors to use based on your needs and the kind of work you're going to do.
The first option is bypass shears which work similar to scissors but comes with curved blades. The upper part of the shears are sharp and cut through branches. And the bottom blade holds the branch in place to help prevent sliding. You can also use anvil scissors which have a sharp upper edge, and flat lower blade. It works similar to a knife and cutting board.
Which shears should you use?
Choosing the right garden shears depends primarily on your preference. However, most gardeners tend to go for bypass shears. They make clean cuts, as opposed to anvil shears which usually crush stems and branches. They're also good for reaching into right spots and provide closer cuts. Bypass shears are also good for cutting flowers and branches without harming the tissue.
On the contrary, anvil shears work better for withered, dried out branches. Some garden gurus use bypass shears for live growth and anvil shears for dead growth. After you've decided on which shears to use, try to find the best quality garden scissors in your price range. They are usually on the more expensive end, but they'll last longer with proper care. Also, before you make the purchase, hold the shears in your hand to ensure that they're comfortable. You can find ergonomic garden scissors for small hands, and left-handed shears as well.
What is pruning?
Pruning requires cutting away dead, injured or infected roots, branches, and leaves from a plant. It also is used as a method to allow the plant space to grow. The more parts of your plant that you cut, the more light it receives. Different flowers and shrubs need to be pruned at various times. You should treat some plants during winter months, while it's best to prune others after they've blossomed.
Why does pruning help your plant?
Pruning adjusts the way in which a plant or shrub grows. It removes diseased shoots and allows the plant to receive more light. Furthermore, it also rejuvenates dying plants, which helps a plant to blossom and flower more. Not to mention, pruning helps to control the size and appearance of flowers and plants. You can cut and snip your garden so that it looks exactly the way you'd like. However, each plant needs to be pruned in a different manner for the process to work.
Pros and Cons
The Top Garden Scissors
We found the best garden scissors on the market. Hopefully, this list will help you pick the right tool for your garden.
- Drop forged body and handles, quality blade made of high carbon steel with Ultra-fine Polishing Technology.
- Ideal for deadheading, trimming, shaping on tree, roses, annuals, vegetable, flower gardens, bonsai and other plants.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
This brand of garden scissors comes equipped with a drop-forged body and handles, and a high-quality blade made of carbon steel. It's also ergonomically designed with non-slip handles which are durable, lightweight and easy to use. Plus, the sap groove design helps to keep the scissors from sticking by channeling the sap off of the shears.
- LONG REACH. The TABOR TOOLS K-7 pruning snips are very light and razor-sharp floral shears with a long blade, especially...
- SHARP BLADE Corrosion-Resistant Carbon Steel blades prevent rusting, are easier to clean and reduce germ build-up. Easy...
- OPEN-CLOSE STRAP This pruner has sturdy handles for increased comfort and optimum performance. At the end of the upper...
Tabor tools are very light and razor sharp, and specially designed for picking flowers and herbs. The sharp, slim blades help you reach tight spaces such as the stems inside of bundles. Plus, the corrosion-resistant carbon steel blades prevent rusting and make it easier to combat germ build-up. It's also easy to clean. You can use these garden scissors for deadheading, trimming, shaping, and other snips on small plants. This toll has durable handles that provide increased comfort and maximum performance. Furthermore, the end of the upper handle includes an unobstructed open and close strap that allows for easy storage.
- Super grade stainless steel upper and lower blades for precision cutting up to 5/16 inches. The UltraSnip is designed...
- Chromed zinc allow handles with comfortable rubber grip.
- Long 6.7 inch handes offer easy grip and reduce hand strain.
Gardenite garden shears come equipped with stainless steel upper and lower blades for precise cutting. It also includes UltraSnip which is designed for deadheading, pruning small flowers and plants and shrubs. The 6.7-inch handles are easy to grip and help to diminish hand strain. The ultra-smooth chromed carbon steel spring is crafted to easily open blades after each cut.
- Make quick, precise cuts when deadheading, trimming and shaping small plants with easy-to-use pruning snips
- Easy Action spring-action design gently opens blades after each cut to help reduce hand fatigue
- Fully hardened, precision-ground stainless steel blades stay sharp, even through heavy use
These shears are great for deadheading, trimming, shaping, and quick snipping on small plants. It received the Arthritis Foundation Ease of Use Commendation for its easy design for people with arthritis and limited hand strength. The easy-action spring design softly opens the blade after each cust to help aid against hand strain. It also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- 【HIGH STRENGTH SK-5 CARBON STEEL BLADES】: Our pruner shears have a thicker blade made of Premium 65mn Titanium steel...
- 【MORE DURABLE DESIGN】: Different with other pruner shears, our garden pruner has a high quality compression spring,...
- 【ERGONOMIC COMFORTABLE DESIGN】: Ergonomically Designed non-slip Aluminum Handles are Strong, Lightweight and...
Crenova pruner shears come with a thick blade made of premium titanium steel and ultra-fine polishing technology. It makes cutting fastest because the shears are low-friction, anti-corrosion, and rust-proof. Plus, it's ergonomically crafted with non-slip aluminum handles that are strong and lightweight. It also reduces strain on your wrist and requires less pressure to cut which makes pruning effortless. Moreover, the sponge handle case provides a comfortable non-slip case that is easy to grip and have a reduces stress on your hands.
WOTF shears come equipped with premium titanium steel and Teflon coating which makes cutting easier and faster. It includes a top-quality compression spring which is ideal for cutting up to 3/4-inch thick branches and flowers. The sap groover design also helps to keep the scissors from sticking by channeling off the sap. These shears are crafted to reduce wrist strain which requires less pressure to cut. Plus, the sponge handle provides a comfortable, non-slip case to minimize stress on your hand.
- Great garden shears for serious gardeners. This is a heavy, high quality pruning shear you’ll be proud to own or gift....
- Incredibly sharp tree trimmers. You won’t believe it. Perfect fit for gardening gifts. Razor sharp curved cutting...
- Practically indestructible, manufactured with out frail aluminum or plastic parts. Heat treated hardened carbon steel...
Garden Guru is great for experienced gardeners who need heavy-duty pruning. They're super sharp and comes with a curves cutting blade which increases cutting effectiveness without crushing the plant material. It's manufactured with heat treated carbon steel that's ultra-durable and is less likely to fracture or require constant sharpening. Plus, it comes with high-tension coil springs which opens the hand pruners with ease. These shears are also attached to stainless steel that won't pinch and come with comfortable, durable, easy to grip rubber handles.
- 2PCS GARDEN SHEARS SET: 24” Manual Bush Trimmers + 8.3” Pruning Shears. If you’re a green hand or a skilled...
- Hedge Clippers CUT EASILY & DURABLE: the sharp & wavy blades make cut smoothly and easily, keep the twigs from slipping...
- Hedge Shears SAVE EFFORT & EASY USE: steel handle is strong and heavy duty, let you trim thicker shrubs more easily. The...
This 2-piece set allows you to cut through bushes and keep twigs from slipping off. It also makes clean cuts which are good for your plant's health. The blades are also made of forged carbon steel which is strong and durable. It comes with an adjustable tension knob that allows you to loosen or tighten the blase to decrease pain in your hand. Plus, the safety lock feature makes it easy and safe to store the blades. Its embedded spring and soft-grip handles are crafted to makes pruning quick and effortless.
Here's What We Think
After looking over this list of garden scissors, it was nearly impossible to pick the best one. All of these have great features. However, we do feel like the shears you choose should fit your preference. If you have arthritis or other problems with your hand, the Fiskars shears are an excellent choice.
We also really like the Crenova scissors because they are low-friction, anti-corrosion, and rust-proof, which are all elements you will need to keep your shears in pristine condition. The ultimate goal is to find the right tools for your garden, so we encourage you to do a little research before you start pruning. Find out the type of shears you need for each plant and flower, and also how to properly care for every plant. We hope this information was helpful for you, and we're sure that your garden will look amazing.