Do you have a green thumb but not enough yard space for a full-fledged garden? Have you ever considered gardening with a mini greenhouse? Whether you’re an expert gardener or just looking for an attractive centerpiece for the living room, a mini greenhouse could be just what you need. Some species of plants need starting earlier than their specific growing season, especially if you’re starting from seed. If you live in a colder than average region, you’ll need to start these plants inside. A mini greenhouse is the perfect piece of equipment for the job.
A mini greenhouse also allows you to extend your overall gardening season. Just move your outdoor plants inside and place them in a mini greenhouse on the windowsill or a table in a well-lit room. When warmer weather returns, you can return said plants to their former location outside. After you build a mini greenhouse, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!
What Exactly Is a Mini Greenhouse?
A greenhouse is a structure equipped with walls and a roof consisting of see-through materials such as plastic, plexiglass or traditional glass. The primary purpose of a greenhouse is to regulate the climate in which plants grow. For example, growing lettuce outdoors in the wintertime or cultivating tropical plants in a much harsher environment.
A mini greenhouse, therefore, is just a smaller version of a full-sized greenhouse. Mini greenhouses can be used indoors or outdoors, unlike their larger versions which are strictly outdoor structures. However, for the most part, mini greenhouses are typically found inside the home. Sometimes mini greenhouses are used for storing outside plants inside during the winter. Other times they are used for growing various types of plants indoors, such as kitchen herbs, flowers, fruits, and vegetables.
That said, as I mentioned above, mini greenhouses can and are also used outdoors. Even though these outdoor mini greenhouses are somewhat massive compared to the windowsill and tabletop mini greenhouses found indoors, they are still considered mini compared to the much larger traditional greenhouses.
What Are The Benefits of Using a Mini Greenhouse?
So, now that we’ve covered what precisely a mini greenhouse is, let’s go over some of the main benefits of using one. Aside from looking awesome and being a good conversation starter, a mini greenhouse has many versatile benefits for plants including:
A mini greenhouse is also an excellent and interactive way to educate children about plants and horticulture in general. Not only are they great for inside the home, but they also make an excellent addition to classrooms and offices.
Where Can I Use a Mini Greenhouse?
You can use your mini greenhouse just about anywhere that gets light. Whether that is in your backyard, the windows of your home, or the coffee table in your living room. A mini greenhouse is an extremely versatile piece of equipment. Not only are mini greenhouses great for inside or outside the home, but they also make an excellent addition to classrooms and offices.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Mini Greenhouse
Mini greenhouses of all shapes and sizes have become available on the market. With so many options to choose from, it’s a bit of a challenge selecting the perfect one. Here are a few of the most vital considerations to make before deciding on the best mini greenhouse for you.
One of the first things to consider when searching for a mini greenhouse is the amount of space that you are going to use. The amount of space you plan to fill is going to determine the size mini greenhouse that you need to purchase. Whether you are going to be using your mini greenhouse inside or outside will make a world of difference in the size.
When purchasing a mini greenhouse, there are many options to choose from when it comes to what kind of materials make up the frame. Wood, plastic, and metals such as steel and aluminum are a few of the most popular. Wood is the typical choice for DIY greenhouses. Plastics are the most often used for smaller frames. Aluminum is a lightweight and rustproof choice while steel is the heaviest and most durable.
The glazing is one of the most crucial consideration to make when it comes to your greenhouse. Glass is perhaps the most common with both mini and full-sized greenhouses. Polycarbonate is one of the most common long-lasting replacements for glass. Polyethylene is another and even cheaper alternative for glass, however, it needs replacing every three to five years.
Another essential aspect to consider when planning a greenhouse is the insulation. If you’ll be using your mini greenhouse inside, insulation is not so much of a critical area to worry about. However, if you plan on using the greenhouse outdoors, especially in the winter time, you will most definitely need to put some thought into the amount of insulation required to protect your plants when snow and ice are present.
Best Mini Greenhouses of 2018
Here are a few of the best mini greenhouses to get your hands on in 2018. These products appear in no particular order.
- Width: 17 " Height: 13 " / 13 " Width: 45 cm Height: 35 cm / 35 cm
- Provides a good environment for seeds to sprout and plants to grow
- The roof vents can be placed in a halfway open position to allow air to circulate and the temperature to cool
One of the most currently famous mini greenhouses is the Socker by IKEA. It is perfect for sprouting seeds or growing a handful of plants. The frame consists of steel with a polyester powder coating. The glazing is polystyrene. It also comes with adjustable roof vents. The product’s measurements are 17.75 by 13.75 inches.
- H Potter Glass Terrarium succulent plant container makes a great gift. Great size for small places. Entire glass...
- Glass Terrarium is 3 mm thick and has lead-free solder to protect you and the environment. Front center roof panel is...
- Base is metal with a dark gray powder coat finish, ball feet, and plastic liner. PROPS NOT INCLUDED.
Another favorite mini greenhouse is the miniature indoor garden by H Potter. This one is a throwback to the conservatories of the 19th century. Its construction is of lead-free solder and a hinged roof which makes it super easy to water. The entire structure can lift off of your plants to more efficiently care for your plants. It has a 2-inch deep plant tray and measures 9.5 by 5.5 by 10.5 inches.
- Double Shelves -- Double shelves provide more space for plants for various types of plants and elegant and simple...
- Foldable Top-- Two top parts of this product could be open and close, and two bolts on the two sides which could be used...
- Solid Structure--Structured with heavy-duty wood for extended durability, and the structure follows the scientific...
The Wooden Mini Greenhouse by Giantex is entirely portable. It comes with doubles shelves and a beautiful design. It has a foldable top affixed to the structure with two bolts. The construction is high-quality wood. It is easy to move, each part is detachable, and you need no tools for assembly. Slightly larger than many mini-greenhouses in the same class, it provides additional space for more plants. This greenhouse is available in four different sizes.
- Glass Hinged Roof Terrarium, Succulent & Air Plant Greenhouse
- Beautiful black brass accent and ventilation
- Great for growing micro-greens, succulents, air plants, moss, cacti and more.
Deco also makes an excellent mini greenhouse which is perfect for those who wish to grow air plants such as cacti and succulent. It comes with a sleek black brass design including ventilation and a hinged roof. The products measurements are 5.9 by 5.1 by 11 inches. It is available in five versatile versions: hinged, pyramid, sphere, tall, and teardrop.
- Ideal for small backyards or homes where space is an issue; place on a deck, patio, or balcony
- Gives seeds, seedlings, and young plants an early start
- Clear polyethylene cover and roll-up zippered door for easy access
The 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse by Gardman is another excellent product to consider. It is perfect for starting plants from seeds on windowsills, patios, backyards, and more. It consists of tubular steel from that can be set up in minutes without the use of tools. The glazing is clear polyethylene, and it has a roll-up zipper door. Measurements are 27 by 18 by 63 inches. There is also an option for expert assembly when you order this mini greenhouse on Amazon.
- Solid construction --- Heavy duty powder coated tubular steel and 6 sturdy shelves (17lbs Max Weight Capacity per shelf)...
- Transparent PVC cover --- 100% Waterproof UV protection cover for maximum solar performance,protect your seeds from...
- Mid Walk-in Design--- Roll- Up Zipper door crafted with double tailors,offers enough growing space for large size plants...
This product is the only walk-in mini greenhouse to make our list. It is much larger than most other mini greenhouses, measuring 56 by 29 by 77 inches. Its frame is made up tubular steel and is powder coated. The cover consists of PVC, and the inside has a six-level shelving network. It weighs 19 pounds.
DIY Mini Greenhouse
In the case that you are more of a do-it-yourself type, we tracked down one of the most common sense (and affordable) DIY mini greenhouse ideas for you to try at home.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Here’s how you put it all together:
- 1Remove the backs to the picture frames and paint them if you desire to do so.
- 2Glue the edge of the 5"x7" frames to the 8"x10" frames to create the main box.
- 3Glue two of the 4"x6" frames together side by side and repeat with the other two 4"x6" frames.
- 4Place the edges of the double 4"x6" frames in an A-frame shape and run duct tape across the top, this will be your roof.
- 5Set the roof on top of the main box, and you're all finished!
There you have it! A mini greenhouse for your home!
The Bottom Line About Mini Greenhouses
Whether you merely love gardening, or you want to add some greenery or flowers to your home’s decor, a mini greenhouse is an excellent investment. For starting seeds in the early spring, growing spinach in the coldest climates, or teaching the kids about plants, a mini greenhouse will be your new best friend.
Do you know about a mini greenhouse that you feel should be on our list? Let us know all about it in the comment section below!