Do you want to brighten up your patio or home in a natural way? Try self watering planters! These exceptional devices will not only bring life and color into any area of your home, but they are almost entirely self-sufficient! Simply choose the perfect plant and self watering planter for your home and sit back, relax, and enjoy all of the benefits of a beautiful plant with virtually none of the work.
Table of Comparison
What Is a Self Watering Planter?
A self watering planter is an ideal addition to your home, office, or outdoor space. Self watering planters are just what they sound like—planters that provide water to the plants within with little or no work from you. Self watering planters are excellent for people who want to brighten up their spaces with a little bit of living color but don’t have the room or the expertise to plant a full garden. They're also great for people who don’t have the time or can't remember to consistently water a plant in a traditional planter.
What Types of Plants Thrive in Self Watering Planters?
Because self watering planters give plants constant exposure to water, the best types of plants for self watering planters are those that live in traditionally moist soil. Some of the best plants for self watering planters are as follows:
A perennial plant will keep coming back over time, so in addition to loving moist soil, the following perennials are the perfect plants for people who love plant life but don’t want to put a lot of time and effort into plant upkeep. Hostas are some of the most popular perennials—they are easy to grow and maintain, their leaves are large and multi-colored, and they thrive in the shade.
If you’re looking for a perennial for your self watering planter that features multi-colored blooms, try Japanese Iris. These large container-loving plants produce beautiful flowers and do best in the moist soil a self watering planter can provide.
Some varieties of annuals (plants that you have to plant each year—they will not come back on their own like perennials) also thrive in moist soil. Lobeila features enough brightly colored blooms to fill a container, and it can grow in the direct sunlight!
Snowy meadowfoam is also a perfect annual for a self watering planter. Because of the plant’s tendency to spread quickly and overgrow areas, it is an excellent plant for a self watering container. Fill the reservoir with water, put your snowy meadowfoam-filled plant in the sun, and watch it grow!
Herbs and vegetables are excellent plants to house in self watering planters. The only thing you need to consider before planting is the eventual size of the plant. Some vegetable plants require a lot of room to grow, so potatoes probably aren’t the best choice for a self watering planter. Other edible plants, such as carrots, cilantro, basil, cherry tomatoes, and carrots, will thrive!
If you live in a frost-free environment or are planning on keeping your self watering planter indoors, a tropical plant may be the perfect choice. Known for their brightly colored blooms, tropical plants make a bright addition to any home. Make sure you research your variety of tropical plant before purchasing and planting. While they should all thrive in the moist soil of a self watering planter, they all prefer different levels of light and some of them grow to be over four feet tall.
How Do Self Watering Planters Work?
Self watering planters work by creating a system in which the plant itself can draw water from a hidden water reservoir whenever it needs. Many self watering planters contain a strip or segment of wicking (porous and water-saturating) material under the soil that keeps the soil consistently moist without running the risk of over-saturating and drowning your plant. This means that as long as your water reservoir is full, your plant will have easy access to all the water it needs to thrive.
What Are the Benefits of Self Watering Planters?
The largest benefit of a self watering planter is that you are not required to water your plant frequently. A self watering planter gives people in small spaces or with lots of time commitments the ability to bring plant life into their homes. Depending on the self watering planter model you choose, you may only have to fill up the watering section of the planter once or twice a month and your plant will still thrive!
Self watering planters are also incredibly healthy options for your plants. Because the planters are designed to let the plants get water from the planter reservoir when they need, it prevents the soil and the plant’s roots from becoming over-saturated, which is easy to do if you are watering manually and aren’t careful about the amount of water your plant is receiving each day.
Many self watering planters on the market today are not only healthy options for your favorite plant life, but they are design centerpieces in and of themselves! These planters will feature your plants in beautiful, original, and creative ways, unlike the terracotta plant pots of old.
What We Reviewed
Best Self Watering Planters
- ROUND HANGING PLANTER (LARGE): Beautifully display plants and flowers with attractive hanging spheres planter baskets,...
- BUILT-IN SELF-WATERING: Reduces water chores, Convenient water reservoir with easy-fill water port, and indicator to...
- MAKES PLANTING EASY: Perfect for container gardening, See photos for easy 3-step planting guide, Large capacity ensures...
This beautiful large self watering planter will hang in any indoor or outdoor room and provide a bright stylish splash of color to your space. It is large enough for a variety of plants, and the wicker basket will not fray, rust, or tarnish.
- SELF-WATERING: The TruDrop One self-watering container system can go weeks without watering. The easy-to-read...
- WEATHER RESISTANT: Crescent Garden’s durable planters will not fade in the summer or crack in the winter, and the...
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Crescent Garden planters are food-safe and made from 100% recyclable high-grade polyethylene.
This large self watering planter is perfect for large plants. Featuring a classic, efficient design, this planter is made entirely from recycled materials and is lightweight and easy to fill. It uses the TruDrop system to effectively provide your plants with just the right amount of water while preventing over-watering.
- Smart, Simple, & Efficient - Plant. Stack. Grow
- Innovative & Attractive Design With The Gardener In Mind - Gardening Made Easy - You Just Need To Water The Top Pot To...
- (3) Mr Stacky Planters & Drip Tray; 12"x12"x18"; Soil Volume 14 Quarts
This unique stacking self watering planter comes in hunter green and bright red and is the perfect way to display your favorite flower or edible plant. It can hold up to 14 quarts of soil, and all you have to do is water the top of the flower display to ensure your plants are safe and thriving! This plastic vertical garden is perfect for indoor or outdoor use.
- Bring a Modern Touch to Your Houseplant Collection with the Modern Round Flared Self-Watering Planters by Misco,...
- The Modern Self-Watering Planter Measures 14" L x 14" W x 11" H, and Weighs Approx. 1.2 lbs.
- The Indoor Self-Watering Planter Features a Large Built-In Water Reservoir and a Quick View Lip that Shows Water Level,...
This lovely self watering planter features a lip through which you can easily see the water level of the water reservoir, a unique color, and a space of 14 inches by 11 inches. It is the perfect self watering planter for indoor or outdoor plants and will add a special (and easy) touch to any room.
- CHECK OUT OUR STORE! - Click on the blue Window Garden link at top of page*** FOOLPROOF – It’s self-watering! The...
- PLANTS LOVE IT! – And it’ll show with lush growth and more flowers. The unique passive hydroponic action creates the...
- CONVENIENT – Includes 1 quart of Fiber Soil so you can get planting immediately. Superior growing medium because roots...
This modern looking self watering planter is a perfect and affordable gift or addition to your home or office! It is available in a multitude of colors, contains soil for quick and easy planting, and will be the perfect new home for your favorite vegetables, herbs, or flowers.
- Wheeled garden box growing kit with fertilizer, dolomite
- Great for cultivating vegetables, herbs and flowers on windowsills, decks, balconies, and even indoors!
- No digging, no weeding, no guesswork
This classic self watering planter is perfect for your small balcony or window space. Featuring a terracotta box, fertilizer, and wheels for easy moving, this is the perfect option for gardening in a small space without a lot of work. Simply pour in the fertilizer, seeds, and water and watch your flowers, herbs, or vegetables grow!
- The PURO 20 indoor planter accents your decor with its' bold spherical shape
- Perfect for any table top display of foliage, or blooming plants
- LECHUZA's signature water reservoir supplies water to your plants as needed, extending the time between watering
This unique self watering planter makes a beautiful centerpiece as well as a lovely home for your indoor or outdoor flowers. Featuring a water level indicator as well as a water reservoir, it makes home gardening fun, stylish, and easy.
This expandable self watering planter for tomatoes is the best way to grow your tomato crop. With each foot your tomato plant grows, just add another ring to the barrel to provide support to your plants and fruits throughout their lifetimes.
- PLANTER SIZE: Capacity 0.5 Gal; Height 5.1 inch; Length 9.4 inch; Water Reservoir 6 OZ
- INNER POT with drainage holes for better moisture of the roots and easy OXYGEN CIRCULATION - a container for the plants
- EXTERNAL POT with water reservoir and water level clear window
This affordable self watering planter comes in a unique oval shape and features a window for you to monitor the root growth of your plants. It has a half gallon capacity and will make a beautiful and easy addition to any home or patio!
- Plants take what water they need when they need it due to the integrated self-watering system. Just top up the reservoir...
- See what water is needed at a glance with the water level indicator.
- No spills even when used indoors. The clip-on drip tray takes all the worry out of indoor use.
This lovely self watering planter is an excellent choice for the urban gardener. It includes an easily fillable water reservoir, a drip tray to prevent leaks and spills, and plenty of room for your favorite plants to grow.
There are so many different types, styles, and sizes of self watering planter that it can be hard to choose the one that best fits your lifestyle. For an affordable on Amazon, the Misco Modern Round Flared Self Watering Planter is a fantastic deal for anyone looking for a standard, simple, and easy to use self watering planter. However, if you are looking for the perfect self watering planter to host your vegetable or herb garden, the EarthBox 1010011 Garden Kit is an excellent addition to a patio or windowsill and will give you delicious and beautiful results all year long. Whatever self watering planter you add to your home, you won’t be disappointed when those flowers bloom!
Last update on 2021-08-04 at 13:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API